Miners would bore gelignite blasting holes in an underground ore bearing stope, In those days they worked from a ladder stage sometimes up to 150 feet above the nearest horizontal surface without the aid of any safety ropes and or harnesses.
The next phase of activity commenced in 1944 when Reg Sprigg, a government geologist, accompanied by Harry Lively and Tommy Carpenter made a detailed geological survey.
In 1946 the Department of Mines commenced preliminary exploration work followed by diamond drilling in 1947. By 1950 a camp of 40 men had been established. In March 1952 an agreement was entered into between the Commonwealth Government, the Government of South Australia, the Combined Development Agency of the United States and the United Kingdom , which provided for the purchase of the uranium output, initially for defence purposes.
Immediately after the signing of the agreement plans were formulated and executed to bring the mine into production. Men who played key roles in the development of this project were Sir Thomas Playford, Premier of South Australia, Sir S. Ben Dickinson, Director of Mines, Reg Sprigg Geologist G.P.H. Jeffery, Chief Executive Officer, and Terry Rogers, General Manager.